Monday, June 27, 2005

Better Than Winning A Grammy

True Stories From Taco Land

by greg

Place: Tacoland
When: Sometime, 1993 & 1994
Who's Playing: Noodle + Gut + Boxcar Satan
Ram Factor: Papa Ram

I only played at Taco Land a few times, but two of those times included memorable Ram encounters. The first was in 1993 at a Noodle gig with Gut and Boxcar Satan. I'd broken up with my girlfriend of two years earlier that day and was lucky to have even completed the 78-mile trek to San Antonio on account of a rapidly dying car battery. I couldn't wait to get inside the bar and pop a cold Pearl to calm my nerves before the show. Unfortunately, I'd left my driver's license in Austin and my youthful appearance made it difficult to even get into Taco Land, let alone drink.

"If I catch you drinking," Ram warned, "I'll have your motherfuckin' ass thrown in jail!"

Needless to say, I was one sober 24-year-old that night.

About a year or so later, Noodle was back at Taco Land and I had my I.D. firmly in hand this time. We were right in the middle of a particularly sweaty set and I was bowled over in some ridiculous spastic contortion with my eyes closed. Then I felt something ice cold press against my forehead. I looked up and was pleasantly surprised to see Ram trying to hand me a Pearl for my efforts.

I remember thinking that was about as close to winning a Grammy as I'll ever get.

No comments:

Snowbyrd : Ram TEST

Snowbyrd Rules:   https://youtu.be/td_jT3Gc0bg